City of Davis Mandatory Water Waste Restrictions
- No watering outdoors between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m., except with a hand-held container or hose with a shut-off nozzle, or for very short periods when adjusting a sprinkler system;
- Outdoor watering is restricted to three days a week:*
- Odd numbered addresses: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday;
- Even numbered addresses: Wednesday, Friday and Sunday;
- No outdoor watering on Monday (City parks & greenbelts water on Mondays);
- No watering during periods of rain and within 48 hours after measureable rainfall;
- No excessive water flow or runoff onto pavement, gutters or ditches from watering or irrigating landscapes or vegetation of any kind;
- No washing down paved surfaces unless for safety or sanitation, in which case a bucket, a hose with a shut-off nozzle, a cleaning machine that recycles water or a low-volume/high-pressure water broom must be used;
- All property owners must fix leaks, breaks or malfunctions when they find them, or within 72 hours of receiving a notice from the city of Davis;
- Fountains and water features must have a re-circulating water system;
- Vehicles must be washed with a hand-held bucket and/or hose equipped with a water shut-off nozzle (does not apply to commercial car washes);
- Restaurants may not serve drinking water unless by patron's request;
- Restaurants must use water-saving dish wash spray valves;
- No installation of non-recirculating water systems at new commercial car washes and laundry systems;
- No irrigation with potable water of landscapes outside newly constructed homes and buildings in any manner inconsistent with regulations or other requirements established by the California Building Standards Commission and the Department of Housing and Community Development;
- Hotels and motels must give guests the option to decline daily bed linen and towel changes;
- No irrigation with potable water of ornamental turf on public street medians.
* Properly operating drip irrigation systems and soaker hoses are exempt from the above restriction.
Please e-mail WaterSmart@cityofdavis.org or call 530-757-5686 to report observed violations. Reports may be kept anonymous however City will need the full address of location in order to make contact.
Enforcement will be handled in the same manner as we currently handle similar violations. City water crews have door hangers which they use to inform a resident/property owner if there is a known issue, and these are generally used for first-time violations in the hopes of educating. Properties with multiple or repeat complaints will receive a letter or email outlining the problem and the expected action. Finally, code compliance staff will be deployed if a problem persists.
Consumption By Rate Class
In 2015, City installed Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) at all City facilities. The AMI system records hourly meter readings and will serve as a pilot project prior to City-wide implementation in the future.
The following link contains 2013 and 2014 estimated City consumption and 2015 AMI data.
More information about the City's water conservation efforts.
Public Works Department Drought Related Work Orders
Requires Update: No